Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Weather and Glaciers


Did you know avalanches are common in winter and spring in the higher country and in places along the North Cascades Highway? The best weather for visiting the North Cascades is between mid June and late September. Did you know the east side of the Cascades Mountains is drier and warmer in summer than the west side? Today the northern Cascade Range is among the youngest mountain areas in the world. Also the North Cascades have pushed upward to majestic heights, exposing the roots of the ancient collision zone. At first I didn’t know that. I didn’t even know that glacial concentrations surround all major peaks.
By:Alyssa

4 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Anglica said...

Hi Alyssa,
I remember that picture but where did it come from? When we go to the Mt.School what will the weather be? Sunny,rainy or snowing?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger maddie said...

That is intresting.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Brandyn said...

Wow! I didn't know that the East side is warmer and dryer in summer than the west side! Very interesting. O_o

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Nice picture, I bet if I went on a glacier, I'd freeze to death...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home